A Glossary Of Immigration Terms

Author: Reset Canada Immigration | | Categories: Canada Immigration Consultant , Canadian Citizenship , Immigration Process

Blog by Reset Canada Immigration

Every industry has its language and terms. These words and phrases can be confusing to anyone who is not part of the daily operations of a specific sector, and the immigration industry is no exception.

To help you understand the terms, acronyms, and phrases regularly used when availing of Canadian immigration assistance, Reset Canada Immigration has created this handy reference guide. Here you’ll find valuable information allowing you to comprehend and communicate your immigration needs and position effectively.

Accompanying family member
This refers to a spouse, common-law partner, dependent child, or dependent child of a dependent child (grandchild) who plans to immigrate to Canada with the principal applicant. Of course, they should have the accompanying family members included in the application.

Authorized representative
There are two types of authorized representatives compensated and uncompensated.

A compensated representative refers to individuals who receive some form of compensation for their services either directly or indirectly. Compensated authorized representatives must be members in good standing with their accredited regulatory body. Examples of authorized representatives are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants who are members in good standing with the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants.   

An uncompensated representative refers to individuals who assist with immigration matters for free. These individuals include friends, family members, and volunteers or staff members at charitable or non-governmental organizations (NGOs).

Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)
CLB refers to the Canadian standard used to describe, measure, and recognize the English language ability of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants who plan to live and work in Canada or apply for citizenship.

This is a spouse, common-law partner, or dependent child of a permanent resident or principal applicant.

Dependent child
A dependent child is anyone who is under the maximum age and is not married or in a common-law relationship. Generally, to qualify as dependants, children must be under twenty-two years old. However, there is an exception for children who are at the age limit or older. They could qualify as “over-age” dependants if they depended on their parents for financial support since before they reached the age limit and couldn’t financially support themselves due to a mental or physical condition.

Express Entry
This is an electronic system to manage applications for the various immigration programs: Express entry includes the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, the Canadian Experience Class, along with a portion of the provincial nominee program

This is when a person is not allowed to enter or stay in Canada. Reasons for inadmissibility can include security concerns, criminal offenses, human rights violations, health or financial reasons, and failure to comply with Canada’s immigration laws.

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada must usually get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job and that no Canadian worker can do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

National Occupational Classification (NOC)
The National Occupation Classification (NOC) lists all the occupations in the Canadian labor market. It describes each job according to skill type and skill level. The NOC is used to collect and organize job statistics and to provide labor market information. It is also used as a basis for specific immigration requirements.

Non-accompanying family members
Non-accompanying family members are family members dependent on the principal applicant but who are not immigrating to Canada. They include a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and the children of a dependent child. These people must be listed on the principal applicant’s application for permanent residence. They should have a medical exam so they can remain eligible for sponsorship at a later date.

Panel physician
A panel physician refers to a medical doctor appointed by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to perform immigration medical examinations.

Restoration of status
This provision is in place in case your temporary status in Canada (e.g., your study permit) has expired and you did not apply for an extension before the expiry date. In this case, you must apply to restore your status within ninety days of the expiry date if you want to stay in Canada. 

You must also explain the facts and circumstances that prevented you from complying with the conditions of the permit and meet all the remaining conditions on the permit.

Settlement funds
Settlement funds refer to available funds that economic immigrants must prove they have to settle in Canada. The funds must be transferable and not committed to debts or other obligations, and these funds will cover fees, relocation costs, and costs to settle in Canada.

A sponsor is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is eighteen years of age or older and who legally supports a member of the Family Class to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Unauthorized representatives
Unauthorized representatives are individuals who charge a fee or receive some form of compensation (direct or not) and who are not members in good standing of an accredited regulatory body.

If you’re looking for a Canadian immigration consultant, reach out to the experts at Reset Canada Immigration. We are an immigration consultancy – licensed by the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants. Our clients are families and individuals who would like to visit, study, or work in Canada temporarily, persons who want to immigrate permanently, as well as persons who have decided to complete the process of becoming Canadian citizens.

Please view our complete list of services here, or get in touch with us here