Federal Skilled Trades Program

Author: Reset Canada Immigration |

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

Skilled work experience eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program falls under the following groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Group 73 – maintenance, and equipment operation trades
  • Group 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production
  • Group 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Group 632 – chefs and cooks
  • Group 633 – butchers and bakers

The minimum requirements are:

  • Language ability in English or French – CLB 5 in speaking and listening CLB 4 in reading and writing
  • Two years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade within five years before applying or part-time equivalent (work can be non-continuous)
  • Valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial, or federal authority
  • Sufficient money to settle in Canada