Open Work Permit

Author: Reset Canada Immigration |

An Open Work Permit (OWP) allows a foreign national to work for any employer, and in any job in Canada. 

You do not need to have a job offer or a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment to be eligible for an open work permit.

Who can Apply for an Open Work Permit?

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you fall under one of the following categories:

  • You are a temporary resident permit holder
  • You are under an unenforceable removal order
  • You are a student who is unable to meet the costs of studies
  • You are a young worker participating in the Working Holiday program
  • You are a refugee, asylum seeker, protected person, or their family member
  • You are an international student who has graduated from a designated learning institution
  • You have applied for permanent residence under one of Canada’s immigration programs
  • You are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • You are a dependent family member (e.g., spouse or common-law partner) of a person who has applied for permanent residence
  • You are a temporary foreign worker on an employer specific work permit and is being abused or are at risk of being abused in the course of your employment in Canada

Contact US for more information about working in Canada or for assistance applying for an Open Work Permit.