On June 18, 2019, Canada introduced two home caregiver pilots. The Home Support Worker Pilot and the Home Child Care Provider Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that allow qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

Home Child Care Provider Pilot

Home child care providers care for the well-being and physical and social development of children, assist parents with child care and may assist with household duties. They provide care primarily in their own homes or in the children's homes, where they may also reside.

Home Support Worker Pilot

Home support workers provide personal care and companionship for seniors, persons with disabilities and convalescent clients. Care is provided within the client's residence, in which the home support worker may also reside.

Eligibility Requirements

You may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot if you meet the following requirements.

Valid Job Offer

You have a valid and genuine job offer from a Canadian employer. The job offer must be for a full-time position – a minimum of 30 hours a week. The employer must prove that there is a real need to hire you. The job may not be from an embassy, high commission, or consulate, or for work in the province of Quebec. 

The job you’re offered must be in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job that matches the pilot you apply for:

Home child care provider (NOC 4411)

  • You must care for children under the age of 18
  • You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify
  • Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count

Home support worker (NOC 4412)

  • You must care for someone who needs help from a home support worker
  • You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify
  • Only home support workers are eligible under NOC 4412
  • Experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count

Ability to perform the job duties

Your past work experience or training will be used to decide if you are able to perform the duties described in the NOC job descriptions.

Language levels

You must take an IRCC-designated English or French language test and obtain a CLB or NCLC 5 in all four language skills: writing, reading, listening, and speaking.


You must have completed a post-secondary educational credential of at least 1 year. This can be Canadian or foreign education. If it is foreign education, you must obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).


You must not be inadmissible to Canada for reasons that will pose a risk to the health and safety of Canadians. Some of the reasons one may be deemed inadmissible include, security, criminal and medical concerns. You will be required to submit information and documents for IRCC to complete background checks. IRCC will specify these requirements in its application guide. Depending on your background, you may need to submit:

  • Biometrics
  • Medical exam
  • Police certificates