What is a temporary resident visa (TRV)?

A Temporary Resident Visa, also commonly referred to as a visitor visa is an official document issued by IRCC, that is placed in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada.

Most travellers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you are transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your destination.

  • What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • How to obtain a temporary resident visa
  • Find out if you need a TRV or an eTA to travel to Canada

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

An eTA does not guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents – for example, a U.S. Green Card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

You must meet some basic requirements to get a visitor visa. You must:

  • Have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • Be in good health
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • Have enough money for your stay
    • The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.

You may also need a medical exam and letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

Contact Reset Canada Immigration

Citizens of visa exempt countries, require an eTA to travel to Canada. While TRVs are required for citizens of visa required countries. 

Refer to the chart below to see if you require a TRV or an eTA to travel to Canada.

Country TRV Required? eTA Required?
Afghanistan YES NO
Albania YES NO
Algeria YES NO
Andorra NO YES
Angola YES NO
Anguilla NO YES
Antigua & Barbuda YES NO
Argentina YES NO
Armenia YES NO
Australia NO YES
Austria NO YES
Azerbaijan YES NO
Bahamas NO YES
Bahrain YES NO
Bangladesh YES NO
Barbados NO YES
Belarus YES NO
Belgium NO YES
Belize YES NO
Benin YES NO
Bermuda NO YES
Bhutan YES NO
Bolivia YES NO
Bosnia-Herzegovina YES NO
Botswana YES NO
Brazil: *currently have a US visa (eTA), or held a Canadian visa within last 10 years (eTA) *YES *NO
Brunei NO NO
Bulgaria NO YES
Burkina Faso YES NO
Burundi YES NO
Cambodia YES NO
Cameroon YES NO
Cape Verde YES NO
Central African Republic YES NO
Chile NO YES
China YES NO
China (Hong Kong SAR) NO YES
Colombia YES NO
Comoros YES NO
Congo, Democratic Republic YES NO
Congo, Republic of YES NO
Costa Rica YES NO
Croatia NO YES
Cyprus NO YES
Czech Republic NO YES
Denmark NO YES
Djibouti YES NO
Dominica YES NO
Dominican Republic YES NO
Ecuador YES NO
Egypt YES NO
El Salvador YES NO
Equatorial Guinea YES NO
Eritrea YES NO
Estonia NO YES
Ethiopia YES NO
Finland NO YES
France NO YES
Gabon YES NO
Gambia YES NO
Georgia YES NO
Germany NO YES
Ghana YES NO
Greece NO YES
Grenada YES NO
Guatemala YES NO
Guinea YES NO
Guyana YES NO
Haiti YES NO
Honduras YES NO
Hungary NO YES
Iceland NO YES
India YES NO
Indonesia YES NO
Ireland NO YES
Israel (passport holders) NO YES
Israel (holders of travel document in lieu of passport) YES NO
Italy NO YES
Ivory Coast YES NO
Jamaica YES NO
Japan NO YES
Jordan YES NO
Kazakhstan YES NO
Kenya YES NO
Kiribati YES NO
Korea, North YES NO
Korea, South NO YES
Kosovo YES NO
Kuwait YES NO
Kyrgyzstan YES NO
Latvia NO YES
Lebanon YES NO
Lesotho YES NO
Liberia YES NO
Libya YES NO
Liechtenstein NO YES
Lithuania NO YES
Luxembourg NO YES
Macao YES NO
Macedonia YES NO
Madagascar YES NO
Malawi YES NO
Malaysia YES NO
Maldives YES NO
Malta NO YES
Mauritania YES NO
Mauritius YES NO
Mexico NO YES
Moldova YES NO
Monaco NO YES
Mongolia YES NO
Montenegro YES NO
Morocco YES NO
Mozambique YES NO
Myanmar YES NO
Namibia YES NO
Nepal YES NO
Netherlands NO YES
New Zealand NO YES
Nicaragua YES NO
Niger YES NO
Nigeria YES NO
Norway NO YES
Pakistan YES NO
Palau YES NO
Panama YES NO
Paraguay YES NO
Philippines YES NO
Poland NO YES
Portugal NO YES
Qatar YES NO
Romania NO YES
Russia YES NO
Rwanda YES NO
San Marino NO YES
Sao Tome e Principe YES NO
Saudi Arabia YES NO
Senegal YES NO
Serbia YES NO
Seychelles YES NO
Sierra Leone YES NO
Singapore NO YES
Slovakia NO YES
Slovenia NO YES
Somalia YES NO
South Africa YES NO
Spain NO YES
Sri Lanka YES NO
St. Kitts & Nevis YES NO
Sudan YES NO
Surinam YES NO
Swaziland YES NO
Sweden NO YES
Switzerland NO YES
Syria YES NO
Taiwan NO YES
Tajikistan YES NO
Tanzania YES NO
Thailand YES NO
Tonga YES NO
Trinidad and Tobago YES NO
Tunisia YES NO
Turkey YES NO
Turkmenistan YES NO
Turks and Caicos NO YES
Tuvalu YES NO
Uganda YES NO
Ukraine YES NO
United Arab Emirates NO YES
United Kingdom NO YES
United States of America NO YES
Uruguay YES NO
Uzbekistan YES NO
Vanuatu YES NO
Venezuela YES NO
Vietnam YES NO
Yemen YES NO
Zambia YES NO
Zimbabwe YES NO